I know in today’s busy world that it can be a struggle for some to get in a good amount of fresh, raw foods during the day. Smoothies are the easiest way to pack in the fresh fruits and veg. Lets go over some of my top reasons for promoting smoothies and why they are a must in your daily routine.
These amazing concoctions are loaded with an array of vitamins, minerals, omega fatty acids, carbohydrates, protein, enzymes, micro-nutrients, antioxidants, pure GLUCOSE (sugar), fiber and water.
Raw fruit and veg smoothies alkalize your body, clean your bloodsteam, clear the mind and brain, hydrate you, promote healthy tissue growth, prevent sickness, reverse dis-ease and so much more!
With today’s busy life and constant running around it can be tough to find the time to prepare meals and eat fresh fruit and vegetables through the day. Making smoothies is so fast and easy that our children started making them for themselves when they were 9 years old!
The nutrients in plants are contained within their cell walls. By putting our fruits and vegetables through a high speed blender it breaks down the cellular structure for you, releasing the nutrients, and enabling easy digestion, absorption of nutrients and elimination of waste.
• Smoothies are a very easy and effective way to consume adequate servings of fruits and vegetables. Only between 12% of the U.S. population takes in the minimum recommended amounts of fruits and vegetables…and that number includes fries and ketchup!
• Fruits and vegetables decrease one’s risk for most chronic diseases.
• Because of the thick, creamy texture of smoothies, they help fill you up.
• As a Mom, I know how difficult it can be to get kids to eat their fruits and (especially) veggies. Whip ‘em up into a smoothie and it gets much easier.
Smoothies are a perfect first step to kick off a healthier lifestyle and it begins with simply starting each day with a fruit n’ veg smoothie!
Tip 1: Bananas need to be spotty and mature! Eating bananas that are not fully ripe are hard to digest and have not finished turning to glucose for you.
Tip 2: Always try and buy ORGANIC produce. This will guarantee that your food is non GMO (Genetically Modified Organism) and that there are no sprays and chemicals used to grow it. Organic just tastes better too!
Tip 3: I have found bags of frozen Organic berries from Costco to be the best deal ($10 for a pretty big bag) if you can’t find locally or grow your own.
Berry Lime Smoothie!
- 3 fresh bananas
- 1 cup frozen berries of choice (I used blackberries)
- 1/2 peeled lime (or the whole thing if you love extra zing)
- 1 packed cup spinach or greens of choice (frozen or fresh)
- 2 cups apple juice or more as needed (fresh is best but I do use organic apple juice, not from concentrate if I can’t find fresh)
Blend all ingredients until smooth & creamy!
I hope that you all enjoy this as much as we do!
Leave any questions or comments below and I would love to get back to you!
Peace & Love